NOTE: The Sword Coast Adventures Guide rebuild option expired at the end of season 3 (March 3rd, 2016)
At long last we have the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide in our hot little hands and, we must say, it is a great book. Along with some great background information on the Sword Coast, we’ve also got some compelling character options for our budding heroes. The questions on everyone’s lips are:
A. What can I use when I create a new character for D&D Adventurers League?
B. Can I rebuild an existing D&D Adventurers League character with these options?
Both are great questions, so here you go:
- Everyone, regardless of story origin (season) has the possibility of using the options presented in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide. Add the allowed portions of the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide to the list of allowed rules for every story origin (see below).
- If your character possesses the Elemental Evil story origin, however, you have one more choice to make. Your character may choose to use either the Elemental Evil Player’s Companion OR the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide as a source that is legal for your character. It is our intent that the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide be an evergreen option, but for those seasons in which an substantive additional source is released (such as occurred for the Elemental Evil season), our plan is that characters will choose between the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide and that resource when determining the list of legal sources for their story origin (in addition to whatever sources might be on the list).
- Everyone, regardless of level or story origin, gets a chance to rebuild their character. Effectively this means nothing changes for characters under 5th level, but those over 5th get one chance to include Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide options with their characters if they so desire. Use the rules in Part 1 of the D&D Adventures League Player’s Guide for this rebuild, ignoring the level limit. You may use this rebuild opportunity even if you do not choose any options from the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide.
- All sidebars and optional rules in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide are legal for D&D Adventurers League play with the exceptions noted below.
- The following rules options are either not allowed, or are restricted in some way:
- The “Winged” option granting a fly speed for tieflings is not legal for D&D Adventurers League play. Cosmetic wings from the “Appearance” option that don’t grant a fly speed are fine.
- Races or other options that are mentioned but whose rules are found in another source (i.e. aasimar or genasi) do not become legal without other campaign documentation unless that source is also legal for your character’s story origin.
- The Inheritor background requires additional guidance. You may roll on the random table provided in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide as normal, but if you decide to choose your item, it must be a non-consumable item found in the Player’s Handbook worth 75 gp or less. Whether you choose to roll randomly or pick your inheritance, you may choose to have your inheritance be entirely mundane or possess a minor magical quirk. If you wish your item to have minor magic quirk, you may choose to either have your inheritance glow with the light of a candle or you may select an option from the “What Quirk Does It Have?” table found in the Dungeon Master’s Guide to determine what quirk it possesses instead. Also, under “equipment” substitute the phrase “any items with which you are proficient” for “any one gaming set or musical instrument with which you are proficient”.
- Only dwarves can become battleragers. This is a clarification of the rules as written in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.
- Only elves and half-elves can become bladesingers. This is a clarification of the rules as written in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.
- All human languages listed on page 112 are legal for use in Dungeons & Dragons Adventurers League play.
The D&D Adventurers League Player’s Guide will be updated with this information next season. Have fun!
-the D&D Adventurers League Staff
Latest posts by Robert Adducci (see all)
- Reflections on my time as a D&D Adventurers League Admin - December 31, 2017
- Reflections on DMQuests, Factions, and other successes and failures - December 30, 2017
- Reflections on Organizing D&D and Community Involvement - December 29, 2017